Dec 29, 2008

WHO - MEATY BEATY BIG & BOUNCY #### (TRACK 1971) Japan mastering cardboard sleeve



After the success of The Who's 6th album, "Who's Next", Decca Records decided to throw together a compilation to reintroduce The Who's earlier stuff to new fans who had only heard "Who's Next". The end result was "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy", the second Who compilation to be released on either side of the Atlantic and the third overall (preceded by "Direct Hits" in the UK and "Magic Bus" in the US. The album was released on November 20, 1971 in the US peaking at number 11 in the charts. It was released on December 3, 1971 in the UK, due to the fact that Kit Lambert wanted to change the track listing but wasn't able to. In the UK, "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy" reached number 9.
The album contains 14 of The Who's best tracks between 1965 and 1970. This album contained many non-album singles as well as album favorites. "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy" does a good job summarizing The Who's career up to 1970 in under 45 minutes. While it might seem obselete to newer compilations like "The Ultimate Collection", "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy" is still a fan favorite.
1. "I Can't Explain" - 2:05
2. "The Kids Are Alright" - 2:45
3. "Happy Jack" - 2:12
4. "I Can See For Miles" - 4:06
5. "Pictures of Lily" - 2:43
6. "My Generation" - 3:18
7. "The Seeker" - 3:11
8. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" - 2:42
9. "Pinball Wizard" - 2:59
10. "A Legal Matter" - 2:48
11. "Boris the Spider" - 2:28
12. "Magic Bus" - 3:21
13. "Substitute" - 3:49
14. "I'm a Boy" (alternate version) - 3:41
Here

4 comments:

yahwehfrk said...

Just found your blog for the first time and found some cool albums. Will make your blog a part of my blog surfing. Thanks

Bob Haldeman
http://z6.invisionfree.com/musicmakespictures

Jersey Joker said...

Hi, great album. But the original album had a long version of Magic Bus, that clocked in at 4:28, not 3:21. Later CD issues had the short version, but I believe the Japanese Universal release (from 2007) had the long 4:28 version. Do you know if this particular CD actually contains the long version (with the time misprinted as 3:21?)

I'd like to know, as I would like to obtain a copy with the long version of that song.

Thanks! Gary

Georgie Hirezola said...

I don't know what you mean!
This is my own rip (as all the rips here) from the Japanese cds I have in my collection.
The only thing I can tell for sure is that this is a Japanese replica of the original TRACK records UK album.
May be the US version on DECCA records had the long version you're talking about...I don't know....
Georgie+++

Georgie Hirezola said...

BTW right now I've checked out the cd & Yes the Magic Bus song clocks at 4.33!!!
My list in the post is wrong because I've copied the timings from a review somewhere else ...don't remember
Georgie+++